Town Clerk

Dear Friends and Visitors:

As a lifelong resident of Chester, and its Town Clerk since 1990, I welcome you to our web page.
The Town Clerk's Office offers a variety of services. We often provide official information between local government and the public. We are the "safe keepers" of Town records. We also work closely with legislative bodies on recording and maintaining official records and documents.
From birth, death and marriage certificates, to licensing your dog, acquiring a sportsman license, checking the agendas and/or minutes of a particular board or commission, to finding out who is running for election; the Town Clerk's Office is here to assist your every need in the most pleasant and helpful way possible.

Debra Germini Calamari, Town Clerk
Phone: 860 526-0013 Ext. 511

Sharon S. Echtman, Assistant Town Clerk
Phone: 860 526-0013 Ext. 511



Copyright 2006

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: The bank sent me a release of mortgage. What do I do with it?

When a mortgage is paid, the bank will send you a legal form, "Release and Discharge of Mortgage," which you are required to record on the Land Records at the Town Clerk's Office. The charge is $43.00 for a single-page document, with a $5.00 charge per page thereafter, per State statute.

Q: How do I get a copy of my military discharge papers?

A certified copy of military discharge papers may be obtained From the Town Clerk's Office if they were filed there. These papers are required for a veteran tax exemption. There is no fee for a copy of these papers.

Q: How can I obtain a copy of my birth certificate?

A copy of your birth certificate is on file in the Town Clerk's Office in the town in which you were born and in the town in which your mother lived at the time of you birth. A certified copy of a birth certificate is $5.00.

Q: How are fees and charges set in the Town Clerk's Office?

Almost all fees are set by state statute.

Q: How do I get a marriage license?

The couple to be married must appear in person at the Town Clerk's Office in the town in which the ceremony will take place to complete an application and to take an oath. For more information, click here.

How do I get a dog license?

All dogs over six months of age must be licensed by state statute. Licenses are available from the Town Clerk's Office. A current certificate that the dog has been immunized against rabies is required. Licenses are renewed each June and are valid for one year.

Q: How much is a duck stamp or pheasant tag?

A state migratory bird stamp (or a "duck" stamp) is $5.00, and a pheasant tag is $14.00. You must have a current hunting license to obtain a set of pheasant tags.

Q: What is the fee for hunting and fishing licenses?

Hunting licenses are $14.00 and require a certificate indicating that a hunting safety course was completed or a license that is less than 5 years old. Fishing licenses are $20.00, and no certification is needed. A combination hunting-fishing-game license is $28.00. Lifetime licenses for people over 65 years of age are free. The Town Clerk is the agent for game licenses for the state.

Q: What Congressional District are we in?

All of Chester is in the 2nd Congressional District and the 33rd Senatorial district 36, Assembly District.

Q: I will be out of town during the upcoming election. How can I vote?

Application for absentee ballots are available to eligible voters through the Town Clerk's Office. Ballots for elections, primaries and referenda are issued in accordance with state statutes and are available one month prior to the voting date. For Annual Budget referendum, call the Town Clerk.





Justices of the Peace

The following represents the current list of Justices of the Peace for Chester, Connecticut.

Shirley Joy Davis
John C. Giddings
Mario S. Gioco
Margaret E. Gister
Christopher Z. Komondy
Marguerite A. Komondy
Carl F. Manning
Emily S. Masters
Elizabeth A. Perreault
Harvey E. Redak
Lisa Michelle Smith
Anna Shubik Sweeney
Jerry A. Walden
Whitelaw Wilson






Marriage Licenses

Once you decide where you are getting married, you can apply in the town in Connecticut where you live or the town you are being married in. The license must be returned to the town you are married in.
     State law says that if you are under 18 years of age, you need the written consent of your parent or guardian. If you are under 16 years of age, the Probate Judge has to sign a consent as well.
     You both have to appear at the Town Clerk's Office in person.
     The license is valid for 65 days from the date of application.
     The fee is $30.00. If you want a certified copy of the license, the cost is $10.00.
     We have a list of Chester Justices.





Vital Records

The Chester Town Clerk's Office maintains records of birth, marriage and death for people who were born, got married or died in town. Our earliest records date back to 1847.
     All vital records are available for public inspection, except for birth records that are less than 100 years old.

Birth Certificates
People whose parents resided in Chester at the time of their child's birth can obtain a certified birth certificate at our office.

Marriage Certificates
Certified marriage certificates are also available by mail by sending a letter of request to the Town Clerk's Office, 203 Middlesex Avenue, CT 06412. Include:

  • names of couple (including wife's maiden name).
  • wedding date.
  • a $10.00 check payable to the Town Clerk.

Death Certificates
Death certificates are retained here for those who either died in town, or were residents of Chester at time of death.





Voter Registration

Charlene Janacek (D)
Kathy Marsh (R)

860 526-0013, Ext. 211

The Town Clerk's Office is available to help you obtain election and voting information.

To register in Connecticut, you must

  • be a U.S. citizen
  • be a resident of a Connecticut municipality
  • be at least 18 years of age on or before the next election
  • not be convicted of a felony
  • Registration forms may be obtained from the Town Clerk or Registrar of Voters..
  • Your registration is subject to the approval of the municipal registrars of voters.